Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Master-peas in the community garden

The peas in our community garden plot had been growing like nutjobs. 

They grew up and past their tall anti-wildlife cage a couple weeks ago, so I took the top off.  And, the deer or moose, or whoever had been munching the peas when they first started growing, were back to eat the tops.  




Also, the hot and dry weather of the past week, coupled with the fact that the stream the garden uses for supplementary water, hit them hard, especially since peas are cool weather plants.  Many stems were dry and snapped off, but the pea pods still had peas in them!  All of the peas in the pods were still good; hooray.  I won't be able to use the whole pods in stir fry as I'd planned, but I shelled what I had, and they'll make a delicious steamed dish with a bit of butter, salt, and pepper.



The carrots and lettuce that we have in the same beds as the peas are looking decently happy too.  The lettuce is ready to be cut, but I didn't have a knife or scissors with me today.  Maybe tomorrow.






In the other bed, the sunflower and lettuce are happy as well.



1 comment:

  1. Hahahah, master-peas! Glad your garden is producing some goodies.

    ReplyDelete